How to enter the 2022 "What's in your backyard?" photo competition
Joining forces with Junior Landcare, host of Gardening Australia and Landcare champion Costa Georgiadis is calling on Aussie kids to take part in the ‘What’s in your backyard?’ photo competition and share with him why their backyard is important to them.
“Grab a camera, get outside, and snap photos of the flora and fauna in your backyard and tell us why they’re important to you!”Costa, Junior Landcare Ambassador
What’s in your backyard?
Your backyard might be a garden. If you live in an apartment, your garden could be plants on your balcony. You may live near a park or bushland area, or a river or wetland. You may live on the coast close to the sea, or on a farm. All of these areas count as your backyard!
You can submit a photo as an individual or as a school or youth group. There are four themes around which you can submit your photo and build your knowledge and deeper connections to:
- Biodiversity – birds, bees, insects, plants, flowers, trees and more!
- Food production – your food garden may include vegetables, fruit and herbs
- First Nations perspectives – bush tucker gardens, First Nations weather or your connection to Country
- Waste management – this could be your worm farm, compost or recycling bins.
What can you win?
The winning school or youth group will receive a visit from Costa himself.*
Nine cameras valued at $250 each are up for grabs for a winner from each State or Territory as well as the winning school.
PLUS the winning school and overall national winner will receive a book hamper packed with titles to inspire environmental action!
*This may be an in-person or virtual visit subject to availability.
How to enter?
It’s easy to get involved and you can enter as many times as you like.
Step 1. Simply submit your photo to Junior Landcare through the campaign website
Step 2. Select a theme that best suits your photo
Step 3. Tell us why the photo is important to you in 50 words or less
Step 4. Fill in your contact details so we can get in touch with you if you win!
Closing date is 31 October 2022.
Who can enter?
Individual entries: All children under the age of 18 residing in Australia can enter. They can be assisted by parents and carers, educators, youth groups, landcare groups and other community groups to take part and submit their entries.
School entries: All Australian schools, early learning centres and youth groups are eligible to enter.
Why is your photo special to you?
Are you growing a yummy vegetable, herb or native bush tucker garden in your backyard? Do you have a favourite tree that provides habitat for native birds? Or maybe you’ve set up a bee hotel that’s buzzing with activity?
Tell us ‘What’s in your backyard’ and why it is important to you.
For tips on how to get started, like going on a bug hunt, when the best time to find insects is or how to create your own bug or bee hotel, visit the ‘Fun with Costa’ playlist on the Junior Landcare YouTube channel here.
- A photo must be submitted by either:
- a child under the age of 18 residing in Australia; they can be assisted by an educator, parent or guardian; or
- an Australian school or youth group.
- Photos must be submitted as follows:
- JPEG (.jpg) format and a Maximum file size: 5MB
- Landscape or portrait orientation. Please do not custom resize photos.
- Colour or black and white
- High resolution, with no borders, signatures or watermarks.
- Entrants who best capture what is in their backyard and describe why the photo is important to them will be deemed the winners.
- The judging panel will identify the winners.
- The judging panel will include Costa, young wildlife photographer Jayden Gunn and the Junior Landcare team.
Terms and Conditions
- You can enter as many times as you'd like.
- Photos must be submitted by parents/guardians (on behalf of their children) or educators (on behalf of schools, youth groups, etc.); only photos with guardian permission will be eligible for entry.
- By submitting your photo, you acknowledge that Landcare Australia may publish and promote your photo/s on the Landcare Australia/Junior Landcare websites, social media, media relations and other communications.
- Prizes will be awarded to a photo and description that meets the criteria. The judges’ decision is final and there will be no correspondence into it.
- Camera prizes are valued at $250 inclusive of GST.
- Costa will visit or e-meet the winning Australia school or youth group subject to his availability in 2022/23; this could be an online meeting.